Values of Protected Area
Value related to flora
- Repository of Medicinal Plants of ethno botanical importance
- Its habitat spectrum – especially a wide range of altitudinal zonation and consequent unique biodiversity
- Only sanctuary in Kerala with a riparian gallery forests
- Only sanctuary in Kerala with dry deciduous forests and sandal forests
- Presence of Albizzia lathamii, a critically endangered tree species
Value related to fauna
- Supports the only population of Grizzled Giant Squirrel in Kerala
- Richness in avian and reptilian diversity
- Presence of Star Tortoise, Marsh Crocodile, Yellow Throated Bulbul, Tufted Grey Langur
Values related to watershed
- Prominent catchments of an East flowing river particularly, the immediate catchment of Amaravathi reservoir in Tamil Nadu
- Being the only link between Anamalai hills and the Kodaikkanal slopes the Sanctuary occupies a pivotal position in the eastern slope forests of the Western Ghats
- Crucial for the longevity of the shola grassland ecosystem of Eravikulam National Park and southern portion of the Anamalai Tiger Reserve of Tamil Nadu
Archaeological and Anthropological Values
- Only protected area in Kerala with Hill Pulaya tribal community.
- Remnants of Megalithic Burial sites including Dolmens and cysts.
Aesthetic and Educational Values
- Opportunities of human ecological studies
- Eco – Tourism Potential
- Potential for imparting Nature Education.